2010 was the 200th anniversary of the St Thomas' Church organ and was marked by a series of events featuring the organ. A major restoration appeal is planned, following the final phase of the church's fabric appeal.
In 1810, a new organ was installed at St
Thomas' Church, by a Mr England of London. It was inaugurated on 25th
March in that year, by Mr Sims, organist of St Philip's Church (later
the cathedral) in Birmingham. A choir from the Birmingham Oratorio
Choral Society sang at the event. Over the years, it has been adapted,
augmented and revoiced by a succession of organ builders, with the
result that the present-day instrument lacks tonal unity and needs
extensive work. In June 2010, with assistance from the Leche Trust, the
organ keyboards were replaced, with the work being carried out by organ
builder, Paul Daly. The piston capture system was renewed in 2013 by
8 divisional pistons to each manual. 6
pistons to pedal department.
8' Stopped Diapason, playable from a MIDI keyboard.
All content (c) 2013 St Thomas' Church, Stourbridge